Many injured workers worry about keeping
a roof over their heads. Several forms of
assistance are available. It is a good idea to
get your name on the waiting lists when you
first go out of work even if you expect to
return to work. Keep in mind that many
injured workers with long-term disabilities
expected to recover and return to work.

Housing Authorities
Each community provides subsidized
housing for the elderly and disabled.
You can put your name on more than one waiting
list. Your rent will be 30 percent of your
income, including heat and electricity.
The disabled must fall within certain income
guidelines to be eligible, but assets are not
counted. While there are many advantages
to this type of housing, some injured
workers have had negative experiences.
Usually, only a handful of slots are set aside
for the disabled, and some of the elderly are
cold to their younger, disabled neighbors.
The Housing Authority may have a hard
time evicting disruptive tenants, which can
be a problem if you live next to someone
who is disturbing your peace.

Section 8
HAP, The Region’s Housing Partnership
322 Main St., Springfield, MA 01105
(800) 332-9667; (413) 233-1500
Call this private, nonprofit corporation to get
your name on the waiting list for a Section 8
voucher that can be used anywhere in the
country to pay for part of your rent.
The waiting list is several years, so sign up now.
HAP also provides information about
subsidized housing, first-time homebuyer
education and financial assistance, landlord
education, lead-based paint abatement,
housing rehabilitation and homeless shelters.

The Homestead Act
This act may protect your home from some
creditors. You must file paperwork first.
A discount on the fee is available to the
disabled. Go to the Registry of Deeds in
your county or call (800) 392-6090.

Housing Discrimination Project
57 Suffolk St., Holyoke, MA 01040
(413) 539-9796; (800) 675-7309
Call the project if you think a landlord has
discriminated against you. It is a private,
nonprofit fair housing organization that
provides education, counseling and free
legal services to anyone who has been
illegally denied housing. The brochures it
publishes include Fair Housing for
Individuals with Physical Disabilities, Fair
Housing for Individuals Receiving Public
Assistance or Housing Assistance,
Discrimination Against Families with
If you are in a wheelchair, and
need a ramp, an advocate will contact your
landlord about installing one. The agency's
help is available to residents of Hampden,
Hampshire, Franklin, Berkshire and
Worcester counties.

Hampshire Community
Action Commission

56 Vernon St., Northampton, MA 01060
(800) 339-7779; (413) 582-4230

Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless
8 Winter St., Suite 402 Boston, MA 02108
(781) 595-7570
For Massachusetts residents only.

Department of Transitional Assistance
100 Front St., Holyoke
(413) 552-5400
95 Liberty St., Springfield
(413) 858-1000
310 State St., Springfield
(413) 858-1300
75 S. Church St., Pittsfield
(413) 236-2000
One Arch Place, Greenfield
(413) 772-3400; 774-3728, TTY
Berkshire Plaza, 37 Main St., North Adams
(413) 663-1100, TTY
Sometimes the department will pay back
rent to prevent eviction.

Rebuilding Together
with Christmas in April

(413) 750-0958
Limited to the city of Springfield.
Volunteers from local businesses will do
home repairs and renovations. Your income
must be less than $25,000. Preference given
to the elderly and disabled. Property must be
free of tax liens. Previous projects include
adding ramps, rebuilding porches, yard
work, removing a shed, and painting.
The number of applications approved is based on
the type of work needed and the number of
volunteers available.

Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency
(617) 854-1000

Broderick House
56 Cabot St., Holyoke, MA 01040
(413) 534-7610
Emergency shelter for homeless families
with children. You will need a referral from
the Department of Transitional Assistance.

Loreto House
51 Hamilton Place, Holyoke, MA 01040
(413) 533-5909
Shelter for homeless men. Agency referral
needed. Application must be filled out either
by calling and requesting one or by going
directly to the office. Lunch and dinner are provided.